Thursday, May 23, 2013

Social Learning

This past week, I was able to give several literary recommendations to friends and acquaintances as to contribute to Learning Outcome # 4.  On Monday, I went to the library to check out a biography on Francesco Petrarch, whom I adore.  Humanism is one of my favorite philosophical movements, so humanist ideas mixed with love poetry = me loving it.

The person I was sitting with then asked me what the book was and I explained to him who Petrarch was.  He did not seem amused.  Feeling the need to defend the poet, I went on a tangent explaining what he wrote about, why it is so beautiful, why it would speak to him if he were to read it, etc.  Then he seemed convinced and I think accepted Petrarch as reputable.  JOB DONE.

A few minutes later, I went to the help desk where my friend was working to check out the book.  He, as well was unfamiliar with the 14th century writer so once again, I happily gave a brief background and told him that he should check his work out.  TWO in one day! I left the library satisfied.

             ↑ My fifth floor Instagram

I believe we are drawn to sharing our favorite works of art, whether it be literature, music, etc. because we know our enthusiasm for them and know how passionate we are about them.  If there's someone who shares similar tastes as you (or doesn't; good work is good work), then you want them to discover those you cherish as well and have their own moments with them.

Not only that, but sharing recommendations is also a way of strengthening relationships whether it be with an acquaintance or someone you know as well as a family member.  Have any of you been able to share literary works with anyone else? COMMENT BELOW

4 comments:

  1. Great post about socially engaging via literature. We can be evangelists for the good things about which we have great interest or passion. Thanks for your example.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's awesome that you were able to convince two people to read humanist poetry, and doing so by explaining the reasons why you love it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Caitlyn! Count me in to read about Petrarch. You convinced me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fifth floor is so chill. I'd follow an Instagram account that was just library shelf, um, erotica. :P (To euphemize what I was originally going to say.) Libraries=sexy.

    ReplyDelete