Tuesday, May 21, 2013

DRAMA

My past experiences with drama are not plentiful, but with the knowledge that I do have, I LOVE DRAMA.  I've mentioned in several posts (here and here) how literature is a form of art which is a means of communication and expression.  The art of theatre is the dramatized version of feelings, sometimes meeting the same caliber of intensity. 

In theatre, certain status quos of the ordinary world (even in literature) do NOT EXIST.  People are free to be as loud as they want, as quiet as they want, as musical as they want, and of course as angry or sad as they want.  Now that's what I call a dream world.  It can be the ultimate be who you want to be world. 


Just like how in poetry the words are not the sole factor of the poem but also the themes, the historical background etc., the same goes for drama in terms of performance style, set design, acting ques, etc.  Because plays are systematically and fundamentally created for performance, the script is not the only or even most important element of a production. 

Take for example my favorite that show that I have seen live, Wicked.  I think about what about the show made it so powerful to me and I can comfortably conclude that it is its music and coming of age ideals.  Many would agree that the song full of the most raw energy is "Defying Gravity."  Musically, it is very strong, but what gave me chills was the stage direction and props when Elphaba is lifted into the sky on the last note of the song.  It holds this idea that standing up for what you believe in is all we really have to "make us fly" (whoa, cheeseball, but still true). 

If you're in the mood for a great and HILARIOUS musical, check out my Urinetown

1 comment:

  1. Toootally. Stage work is just magnified by an emotional...microscope. Everything's done bigger and better than in real life.

    That's the difference between stage acting and film acting. In film, the best actors are those who stay true to raw, real emotion.

    ReplyDelete