Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Poetry Is ART

As I have stated in a previous post, poetry can be very daunting to those not already comfortable with it.  Most of us are aware that poems are brief, but hold a lot of meaning.  The thought of an in depth analysis of short sentences and individual words is still pretty terrifying to me; I fear that I cannot tap into the mindset of the author. 

That being said, when consulting the text, Literature: Craft & Voice by Nicholas Delbanco and Alan Cheuse, the fear did not necessarily disappear, but I found motivation and justification in the act of analyzing poetry.  Throughout the text, there are several larger font, red quotes spread about poetry; not about individual poems but rather the entire subject of poetry.  They all allude to the ideas of why poetry is written, why we should read poetry and what it does for us as a society. 

"Reading good poetry helps a person feel less lonely.  It's the evidence 
that someone else has felt what we feel, knowing what we know" (592).
(Taken from a conversation with Jane Hirschfield)

I think that this can be said concerning all forms of art (literature, visual, auditory; art is infinite and UNBOUND).  We all try to make out and understand this world and this life, never fully knowing.  Expression of one's self and I agree with Jane Hirschfield, that the creation of art is evidence of us trying to make sense of this world, making what we know evident.  I have always had a connection with the arts, but I would say poetry has been my weakest link in all my relationships.  Relating this idea that is mentioned by Hirschfield to poetry creates this desire in me to focus on it and learn it as it is another major form of ART.


5 comments:

  1. I've found the section on poetry to be a bit daunting: I'll have to look into these red quotes. I know that the Cheuse & Delbanco also links up to online interviews with authors, which could be interesting.

    As for making our learning social, I totes love our fifth floor Tuesday library blogging. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've often wondered why some poets make their poetry so seemingly vague to the casual reader, and often to the focused reader. After analyzing the obscure poem, I wonder if I am anywhere in the ballpark of what their message is about. But then, I think, perhaps it is what I take from their poem, is what they had intended all along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! Poems are shorter, but packed with just as much story, passion and diligence as any other novel or story. So poets are much more selective with their words and how they form the piece as a whole.

    I think that's why poetry is so difficult to digest upon first encounter. It's like eating a salad on your first date. SO good, but it takes practice to get those awkward, big leaves in your mouth. Or stabbing that cherry tomato without it flying off your plate...or squirting your date (inadvertent rhyme. Tight).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! You had me LOL'ing. But it is so true. At first you feel uncomfortable and that discomfort can turn into a feeling of inadequacy. We just have to keep in mind that WE CAN DO IT!

      Delete